7/24/11

The things you miss

Oh the things you miss when you dont have access to them any more. To see, feel, hear, smell them. Oh I wish on this, another hot humid day to be back home.
Peterhead lies on the North East coast of Scotland.

It used to be the biggest white fishing port in Europe untill they passed a law that our Fishermen could only go to sea for a certain amount of days a week due to shortages of Cod out in the North Sea!

The Fish Market used to look like this at one time, I dont know if it looks like that now. The smell, oh my god, the smell lingers in your nose if you dont work in the fish, you pass people in their lunch break in town and the smell of fish is enough to make you run. I miss that smell now.

Boddam Power Station, you can see it all the way from Aberdeen, once you see that lum on the horizon, you know your nearly home. Oh what a great sight to see when you dont see it any more.

And to walk along the beach, no humid sticky weather and bugs to bother you. All bundled up in your jacket breathing in that cold air.

And the rain...oh yes!!! Bring it on. You see it coming a mile away. I miss the rain!

Lush green grass, yep, Ive missed that to, not seen green grass like this in 8 years now. Grass you have to mow every week because it grows a foot high with all the rain.

Yep, I even miss the Skurries that shit on you when your in town. Not just town, they are everywhere, you hear them screetching over head.

A cuppy ah tea an a fine piece.

or a cold Pancake slathered in butter. MMMMMMM!

Fish Supper fae Zanres with lots of special sauce please!

Or a Chicken Korma fae the Indian.
And, a White Puddin Supper fae the Clerkhill chinky with curry sauce.

I will even settle for a Haggis Supper!!! Im not fussy, I will eat them all and enjoy and savour every last bit. I would even be happy just to stand in Zanres doorway and smell it all, that would do me, I dont want to be greedy, just a wee smell would do me just now.

To go see family and friends, not do anything much, just chill, drink tea and hae a fine piece.
To go see Cam, let him do a tattoo on my other foot is a must.
No, thats not dirt, its my sun tanned feet. Yes they are pocky dotted from wearing Crocs out in the sun.

To sit in my mums garden, look at the pretty flowers, watch people walk past and not wonder what he/she/they are doing walking past your house. Over here if someone walks past your house you watch him till they are out of sight and call your neighbour down the street to keep an eye out for him.
The street lamp outside my mums house, lighting up the bed room.
A taxi BEEPING for its passenger.
The click of the garden gate, doesnt matter if its yours or 6 doors down, you still hear it.
To look out the back bedroom window and wait for the bus to go up Aalesund Road. You know you have enough time to walk across the court to wait for the bus.

Its amazing what you miss when you dont have those small every day things in your life. I could go on and on, but I would be here all day.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

This was left on my facebook page. Thank You Vicki

I don't know if you can see
The changes that have come over me
And these past few days I've been afraid
That I might drift away
I've been telling old stories, singing songs
...That make me think about where I come from
And that's the reason why I seem
So far away today

Let me tell you that I love you
That I think about you all the time
Caledonia you; re calling me
Now I'm going home
And if I shall become a stranger
No it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had.

Sounds like you need to come home for a bit Nicky! x

Crow said...

Thanks for the ride. I would love to go to my Mother-land. Someday. It look beautiful. Although I might just have to live on the cake and tea while I am there! ;-)